Busca avançada
Ano de início
Entree
(Referência obtida automaticamente do Web of Science, por meio da informação sobre o financiamento pela FAPESP e o número do processo correspondente, incluída na publicação pelos autores.)

High morphological and genetic variabilities of Ochlerotatus scapularis, a potential vector of filarias and arboviruses

Texto completo
Autor(es):
Petersen, Vivian [1, 2] ; Devicari, Mariana [1, 2] ; Suesdek, Lincoln [1, 2, 3]
Número total de Autores: 3
Afiliação do(s) autor(es):
[1] Inst Butantan, Sao Paulo - Brazil
[2] Univ Sao Paulo, Biol Relacao Patogeno Hospedeiro, Sao Paulo - Brazil
[3] Univ Sao Paulo, Inst Trop Med, Programa Posgrad, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Número total de Afiliações: 3
Tipo de documento: Artigo Científico
Fonte: PARASITES & VECTORS; v. 8, FEB 26 2015.
Citações Web of Science: 8
Resumo

Background: Ochlerotatus scapularis is a potential vector of filarias and arboviruses in the Neotropics. This species was once typically associated with sylvatic environments; however, cases of synanthropy and urbanization of this species have been increasingly reported in southeast Brazil. Despite the medical relevance of Oc. scapularis, its populational variability is not yet known. To our knowledge, this is the first report describing the morphological and genetic variabilities of this species. Methods: Population samples were characterized using the cytochrome oxidase subunit I (COI) mitochondrial gene and wing geometrics. Adult mosquitoes were collected from five sampling sites from remnants of the Atlantic forest embedded in the urban or rural areas of southeast Brazil. Results: In the 130 individuals analyzed, 46 COI haplotypes were detected. Haplotype diversity was high and ranged from 0.66 to 0.97. Six haplotypes were present in 61% of the individuals, whereas the remaining haplotypes were less frequent (39%). Wing shape was also highly polymorphic. Differentiation of populations across sampling sites according to genetic distances (F-st = -0.009 to 0.060) and morphological distances (Q(st) = 0.47) indicated that populations were not identical. No correlations were noted for phenetic and genetic diversities (p = 0.19) or for genetic or phenetic distances with geographical distances (p = 0.2 and p = 0.18, respectively). Conclusions: Our study results suggest that Oc. scapularis has a rich genetic patrimony, even though its habitat is fragmented. Implications of such genetic richness with respect to vectorial competence, plasticity, and ability to exploit urbanized areas need to be further investigated. (AU)

Processo FAPESP: 06/02622-5 - Caracterização populacional de Culicidae de interesse médico: aspectos moleculares, cariotípicos e morfométricos
Beneficiário:Lincoln Suesdek Rocha
Linha de fomento: Auxílio à Pesquisa - Regular
Processo FAPESP: 10/14479-8 - Investigação de polimorfismos de geometria alar e de genes mitocondriais em Aedes scapularis (Diptera; Culicidae)
Beneficiário:Vivian Aparecida Ramos Petersen
Linha de fomento: Bolsas no Brasil - Mestrado