Advanced search
Start date
Betweenand
(Reference retrieved automatically from Web of Science through information on FAPESP grant and its corresponding number as mentioned in the publication by the authors.)

Family members affected by a relative's substance misuse looking for social support: Who are they?

Full text
Author(s):
Sakiyama, Helena M. T. [1, 2] ; Rato Padin, Maria de Fatima [1, 2] ; Canfielda, Martha [2, 3] ; Laranjeira, Ronaldo [1, 2] ; Mitsuhiro, Sandro Sendin [1, 2]
Total Authors: 5
Affiliation:
[1] Univ Fed Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo - Brazil
[2] Natl Inst Publ Policy Alcohol & Other Drugs, Sao Paulo - Brazil
[3] Univ Roehampton, London - England
Total Affiliations: 3
Document type: Journal article
Source: DRUG AND ALCOHOL DEPENDENCE; v. 147, p. 276-279, FEB 1 2015.
Web of Science Citations: 4
Abstract

Background: This study proposes to describe family members in the city of Sao Paulo who are seeking support in mutual self-help groups to deal with a substance misusing relative. Method: Five hundred participants (one participant per family) completed a structured questionnaire collecting socio-demographic information, length of time taken to seek help, and where they sought help. Participants were recruited from the mutual self-help group `Amor Exigente' in the city of Sao Paulo, Brazil. Results: Parents of substance misusers counted as the largest group of family members. It took an average time of 3.7 years for the family members to discover their relatives' substance misuse. 42% had then sought help immediately; it took an average of 2.6 years for the remaining 58% of the sample to seek some form of support. A belief that the substance misuse of their relatives was just a transient problem or that they could cope with the situation by themselves were among the most indicated reasons for delay in seeking help. Discussion: Findings stress the importance of implementing services that take into account the difficulties families have in finding help to deal with the substance misusing relative. (C) 2014 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved. (AU)

FAPESP's process: 08/57714-7 - National Institute for Public Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs
Grantee:Ronaldo Laranjeira
Support Opportunities: Research Projects - Thematic Grants
FAPESP's process: 11/50614-0 - National Institute of Public Policy for Alcohol and Other Drugs
Grantee:Ronaldo Laranjeira
Support Opportunities: Regular Research Grants