Advanced search
Start date

Acute effect of local hypoxia during strength training of high and low intensity of muscle activation in young individuals

Grant number: 15/05660-4
Support Opportunities:Scholarships in Brazil - Scientific Initiation
Effective date (Start): October 01, 2015
Effective date (End): September 30, 2016
Field of knowledge:Health Sciences - Physical Education
Principal Investigator:Cleiton Augusto Libardi
Grantee:Samuel Domingos Soligon
Host Institution: Centro de Ciências Biológicas e da Saúde (CCBS). Universidade Federal de São Carlos (UFSCAR). São Carlos , SP, Brazil


The local hypoxia caused by the strength training (ST) contributes to the increase of muscle activation, which suggests an increase in recruitment of motor units (MU), an important condition to enhance strength and muscle mass. A manner to increase the magnitude of MU recruitment might be the increase of local hypoxia inducted by blood flow restriction (BFR). Thus, the aim of the study is to analyze and compare the effect of local hypoxia during low intensity strength training (LI-ST) with BFR (LIST-BFR: 3-4 x 20/20% of one repetition maximum [1-RM] / 60% of total occlusion pressure), high-intensity strength training (HI-ST: 3-4 x 10/80% of 1-RM) and high intensity strenght training with BFR (HIST-BFR: 3-4 x 10/80% 1-RM / 60% of total occlusion pressure) in muscle activation in young subjects. The hypothesis are that the local hypoxia will be higher for HI-ST and HI-ST-BFR compared to LI-ST-BFR and higher for HI-ST-BFR compared to HI-ST. Moreover, it is expected that the muscle activation will be higher for the HI-ST-BFR and HI-ST compared to LIST-BFR and similar among HI-ST and HI-ST-BFR. In order to test these hypotheses, 18 young men will undergo the three experimental training conditions of strength training randomly, in a crossover design. During the sessions the local muscle oxygenation will be measured by near-infrared espectroscopy (NIRS) and muscle activation by surface electromyography (EMG), both measurements in vastus lateralis (VL). The dependent variables of the study will be the concentration of oxyhemoglobin delta (” [HbO2]), deoxyhemoglobin (” [HHb]), total hemoglobin (” [HBT]) and tissue saturation index (” TSI), RMS (Root Mean Square) normalized by the maximum voluntary contraction (MVC).

News published in Agência FAPESP Newsletter about the scholarship:
Articles published in other media outlets (0 total):
More itemsLess items

Scientific publications
(References retrieved automatically from Web of Science and SciELO through information on FAPESP grants and their corresponding numbers as mentioned in the publications by the authors)
SOLIGON, S. D.; LIXANDRAO, M. E.; BIAZON, T. M. P. C.; ANGLERI, V.; ROSCHEL, H.; LIBARDI, C. A.. Lower occlusion pressure during resistance exercise with blood-flow restriction promotes lower pain and perception of exercise compared to higher occlusion pressure when the total training volume is equalized. PHYSIOLOGY INTERNATIONAL, v. 105, n. 3, p. 276-284, . (15/05660-4)

Please report errors in scientific publications list by writing to: