Advanced search
Start date
Betweenand

Development and evaluation of an anti-inflammatory gel for topical use with extracted residue of Agave sisalana encapsulated with cellulose acetate and associated with propolis

Grant number: 20/09036-1
Support type:Scholarships in Brazil - Scientific Initiation
Effective date (Start): May 01, 2021
Effective date (End): January 31, 2022
Field of knowledge:Biological Sciences - Pharmacology - Ethnopharmacology
Principal researcher:Lucinéia dos Santos
Grantee:Mariana Conti Parron
Home Institution: Faculdade de Ciências e Letras (FCL-ASSIS). Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP). Campus de Assis. Assis , SP, Brazil

Abstract

In reason of current research of the pharmaceutical sector for drugs with proven therapeutic activity and with a smaller number of side effects, the several secondary metabolites present in nature stand out for their ability to assist in the treatment of diseases and health promotion. In this context, there is the possibility of using propolis, a bees' subproduct, which stands out for its therapeutic properties, including anti-inflammatory, associated with a composition rich in polyphenols. As well as, the use of plant extracts obtained from plants. In this direction, some studies have shown that the mucilage resulting from the defibration of Agave sisalana, sisal, has the potential to slow or attenuate the continuity of the inflammatory cascade, due to the high content of saponins present in its composition. It is worth noting that the sisal fibers correspond to 4% of the weight of its leaves, the rest, 96%, is discarded. Given this context, although previous research has sought to elucidate the actions of sisal and propolis in isolation, little is known about the effect of this interaction in combating inflammation. Thus, this work aims to develop an anti-inflammatory for topical use, based on the junction of the extract of the residue of sisal and propolis. For this, nanotechnology will be used in the encapsulation of the sisal extract, as it has shown itself as an ally in the development of phyto-products, improving the quality and stability of the formulation. In vitro analyzes of the anti-inflammatory and toxicological potential of the sisal extract encapsulated in cellulose acetate and associated with propolis will be carried out. Then, the formulation will be developed and in vivo evaluation of the anti-inflammatory potential, as well as quality control tests of the final product.

News published in Agência FAPESP Newsletter about the scholarship:
Articles published in other media outlets (0 total):
More itemsLess items
VEICULO: TITULO (DATA)
VEICULO: TITULO (DATA)

Please report errors in scientific publications list by writing to: cdi@fapesp.br.